1) Big News! We are now a Section 80G NGO: Your generous donations to Angel Xpress will now help you save on tax as well. Section 80G allows for Deductions to be claimed for Donations made to approved Charitable Trusts – and now we too are one of them.
You'll be happy to know that we got this prized approval in 8 months, with no money exchanging hands but just 10 minutes of personal interviews with an IT officer and the Director of Income Tax. Sure enough, when you do good work, the universe(and tax officers) conspire to help.
2) Good News! Angel Xpress now in Andheri East: When Amrita Pai from Welspun Group expressed interest in starting our center in Andheri, we knew this was another landmark in our history. Our center teachers scoured areas and found a delightful park managed by Mahakali ALM in Andheri East. The park is so easily accessible for children living in nearby pagodas that it seems like this was waiting to happen. The residents too have come forward with crackling enthusiasm.
Though the Angel Xpress-Welspun-Mahakali center will officially launch in July 2014, we intend to set summer camp activities for children as an enticing precursor.
3) Anubha Sharma awarded the Vocational Excellence Award: Rotary Club of Bombay Airport bestowed a rare honour on our founder Anubha Sharma early this month. She received a Vocational Excellence Award for establishing Angel Xpress Foundation. Our humbled founder shared how Angel Xpress was one of her cherished dreams which found a way to materialise.
The Rotary Club has always been an immense support and a great sounding board for all our ideas. An award assures of their continuing presence and encouragement.
4) A good thing must go on: Of the 4.5 lakh children from slums of Mumbai who attend BMC vernacular schools, a startling figure of 70-80% children are near illiteracy level even after 5 years of schooling. This inspired us to reach out to children at vernacular medium schools by employing competent teachers.
Today, we have 600 children at the open centers and 1700 students in our in-school program studying and improving their chance at a better life. We aim to scale up this program and reach a greater number of children for which we need support. Do keep the contributions coming in. Even talking about us will help. Your one heartfelt conversation might lead a donor to us. After all, a good thing must go on and generate more goodness.
5) Swarathma is here to chase your blues away: We're delighted to announce the First Ever Angel Xpress Benefit Concert by Swarathma, one of India's leading folk rock acts. The Bangalore-based band is becoming increasingly synonymous with inspiring a rush of kaleidoscopic energy with its live performances and this time, they will be playing only for us, and you! Come get your friends and family for an unforgettable evening that’s going to make history for Angel Xpress. Woohoo!
Venue & Details: Blue Frog, 23rd March, Sunday
Entry: INR 500 / person
Block your diaries now!
Do keep the love and support coming in as well. Spread the good word.